Friday, July 20, 2012

recommendation: cake batter muddy buddies

My friend's daughter was having her 3rd birthday party and I volunteered to make the puppy chow (aka muddy buddies) she planned on having (along with scooby snacks, which taste suspiciously like cookie butter....). So cute for a Clifford the big red dog themed party! She mentioned that she had cake batter puppy chow one time so I knew I had to find this recipe. It was just as easy to make as your normal chocolate/peanut butter version but a little more festive with sprinkles in it! I made 1.5 batch of the chocolate and 1 batch of the birthday cake version and 2 boxes of chex was the perfect amount with just enough left over for a bowl of cereal the next morning!


I got my recipe from Chef In Training:

CAKE BATTER MUDDY BUDDIES
recipe adapted from: So Very Blessed

Makes 5 cups

5 cups Chex cereal (I used half rice half corn)
10 oz (5 squares) vanilla flavored Almond Bark
1 1/2 cups yellow cake mix
1/2 cup powdered sugar
vegetable shortening, optional (I skipped)
sprinkles (LOTS OF THEM)

- Pour 5 cups of Chex Cereal into a large bowl.
- In a large bag, put cake mix and powdered sugar and shake to mix evenly. (*Note, I stirred my sprinkles in here so they would stick to the chex too but the recipe calls for them to come in 2 steps... your choice)
- Melt Almond Bark according to the package directions, adding vegetable shortening to thin if desired.
- Pour Almond Bark over cereal, stirring and folding until the cereal is completely covered. Stir in some sprinkles if you would like.
- Pour the Almond Bark covered cereal into the large bag containing cake mix and powdered sugar. Zip up the bag and shake until all the cereal is coated with the powdered mixture.

Sorry no picture of the actual product, they were eaten quickly. I still prefer the chocolate version but they were a hit at the party. Even Murphy the dog got into them...although he is excused, to be fair, we did call it puppy chow and Anne did display it in dog bowls (from the dollar store!). I can see in dog world how this would be confusing.

Pin of Original Recipe (don't you envy people who think up these things in their kitchen??)

No comments:

Post a Comment