Thursday, July 26, 2012

recommendation: re-use, up-cycle, spray paint!

I have the attention span of a 2 year old. Seriously. We were in the middle of fixing up our garage - this is a big project. Everything peeled away from the walls and in the middle, painting the garage, sweeping. My sister-in-law is spray painting dresser drawers, it was a hot and sweaty day, motivation is not going to last all afternoon... I'm supposed to be painting, or moving things off the wall, or doing something, and then I spot my chalkboard spray paint. So obviously instead of staying on-project and putting it away, I think... what can I spray paint?!

I had saved the plastic containers our plants for the front yard came in (I swear I'm not a hoarder!), knowing that I would find some project with them. They are fairly flimsy as they are meant to be disposable, but here's what I did. I washed them out and let them dry in the sun. Taped down a rectangle on each one and spray painted them with chalkboard spray paint. Waited about 30-45 minutes to be sure, peeled off the tape, and whipped out my galaxy marker and traced the rectangle and polka dotted it up (the world is a happier place because of polka dots). What is a galaxy marker? If you are a crafter, you need this. Its like a paint marker, in that it writes on any dark surface. Its awesome. White is my favorite.

And... TA-DA!

So, I re-used and up-cycled these buckets, therefore justifying my pack-rat habits (in this one instance) and turned them into garage storage containers for all of the other crap I insist on saving...but at least they look pretty & organized! Now I just need to find chalk markers that erase easily... any suggestions? I'd like to purchase them at Michael's (b/c of coupons) or Amazon (because of their great prices). I almost bought some on amazon but reviews said they don't erase well so looking for word of mouth recommendations! On to the next spray paint project... a salvaged chair - will post soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment