Saturday, August 13, 2011

recommendation: selecting your bridal party

Well, I got a little caught up in – I’m home alone and have the remote to myself and can watch any show (aka trash) that my heart possibly desires – time, so the other night I ended up watching an episode of Tia & Tamara (really?!). It was an episode about Tamara’s upcoming wedding and how she was debating about her selection of maid-of-honor – her sister Tia, who was pregnant and therefore not doing anything, and her best friend who was a bridesmaid and picking up all the slack planning the party. I got curious after the episode was over about how her wedding turned out so I found a picture and was shocked and how beautiful her soft pink bridesmaids dresses turned out and everything looked amazing.

Made me reminisce a little about our wedding – my sister was my maid of honor and did such a fantastic job of planning my bridal shower and bachelorette party. Every detail was perfect – at my bridal shower, my sister & mom found antique tea cups and saucers, each one different, and put one at each setting with a little flower arrangement in it. My favorite drinks, my favorite beverages, my favorite people – my pre-wedding events were perfect. On the day-of, our photographer captured a picture of us, giving each other a look of complete love and support. This is what a maid of honor is!

I hope that you find the perfect people to be in your wedding. They make the cutest cards these days so that you can send or give to your friend/relative to ask them to be a part of your special day. I love these I Still Need My Girls one and Will you be my bridesmaid, both from Etsy.
Another popular idea is sending a small flower arrangement to each girl and in the card asking if they will be a part of your special day.

Most importantly is – as a bride, don’t assume they will want to or can, understand that you are asking them a huge favor – time, money, friendship and tolerance of you being a crazy b*tch during the last few weeks (thank you to my girls for loving me still!). And girls who are accepting – understand what you are accepting to – time, money, friendship, and tolerance of your friend being crazy. If you aren’t able to do this, think about accepting before you do it. Did anyone see the movie Bridesmaid’s? What a crazy collection of girls but it really shows that you have to be there for the bride – this is not about you, this is about her.

Here are some helpful articles and tips for selecting your bridal attendants:
- The Knot's, 9 Tips for Who to Pick
- Real Simple, Choosing your Wedding Party
- Bridesmaid 101, everything bridesmaids and MOH's need to know - duties, tips, resources
- Wedding Bee, bridesmaid board

No comments:

Post a Comment