Monday, October 24, 2011

recommendation: art class in chicago

i have to tell you about one of the funnest things I did in Chicago - or really, ever. my sister asked me twice to go to this class and I'm lazy especially after 6pm in the evenings, so I declined. And then she told me we MUST go before I leave chicago and she had a groupon so I decided ok, fine, I'll do it. And now I don't know why she had to twist my arm so much and I'm glad she did because it was so completely awesome. p.s. we went to dinner before the class at nearby Harvest Moon Cafe in Wicker Park, a vegan restaurant my sis wanted to try...not a fan, we do not recommend! read why HERE.

So this place is called Arts N Spirits and basically its a BYOB class that you can sign up for with your friends, there are limited seats per class, and each class has a picture theme so look at the calendar to pick out which one you want to do, you can do your own but its best to follow along with the teacher as she walks you through each step of the layered painting. The class takes about 2.5 - 3 hours (they say 2 but it took longer) and they blast fun music and you drink wine and paint your heart out. The class costs $25-$40 depending on which one you do, and when you sign up, make sure to let them know if you are with other people b/c they semi-assign seats. You get to pick out a cute apron and they give you a canvas, easel, paint and paintbrushes (and bins of ice to keep your vino chilled). We met our friend Lindsey there and there was ample time in between painting and breaks to chit chat. It was a fun girls activity! (there was one boy in the class and I was under the impression his girlfriend made him go but he was a good sport about being there in a room of giggling girls).

Our class did peacocks and in the end I may have done the picture a little different (I think my bird needs feet and definitive wings so he doesn't look like a bowling pin sitting in the middle of beautiful feathers), but it was so cool to walk out of the class with a canvas painting that I made! that looks decent! my sister decided to revise hers a little at the very end into a vase with hydrangeas (after we took the picture). the cool part is, the teacher tells you what to do step by step, but all paint colors are out so you can do your own colors to match a space, some drunk girls at the end decided to put bow ties on their peacocks.

it was an awesome night, and awesome painting, and definitely on my must do in chicago list. check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment