Wednesday, October 19, 2011

recommendation: easy halloween decorations

Now that we are in the house, I am thrilled to have the space to actually decorate for the holidays. before in a condo, it just didn't seem worth it as we were the only two that could see everything. But now I have a front yard, a porch, a big bay window to display a tree, and lots more people passing through. too exciting!

first off, halloween. since its approaching quickly and we don't have any kids, I figured I shouldn't go bananas on decorating indoors, I just wanted something fun for the front porch. i've been dying to spray paint pumpkins gold thanks to that Martha Stewart and also this blog that has a fabulous display of metallic gourds. I settled on two pumpkin pie pumpkins for the spray paint project which I picked out because they are tiny - so cheaper for the pumpkin and less spray paint. I used that blue painters tape to cover most of the stem but left a little showing because its hard to wrap completely! With the pumpkins placed on a tarp, spray away!! Quick and super easy!

On a spray paint high (from the fun, not the fumes - I wore a mask!) - I wanted to find more to spray paint. I was planning on using a silver sharpie to draw vampire faces on two empty wine bottles but decided to use them for a different project instead. Inspired by a post by Pure & Noble - I used a hot glue gun to write words on the bottles. I think elmers glue may have been easier but the hot glue dried super quick. I wrote JOY on one and PEACE on the other, vertically down the bottle. Waited a minute although the glue really dries quicker, and took them out to spray paint! I think they will be fun on my fire mantle with some decorative twigs coming out of them at Christmas time!

To set up my porch, I found some more great 'fun' pumpkins at a little fruit/vegetable stand on my trip Up North Michigan to Higgins Lake (family trip, SO much fun!). The green one is the Jarrahdale pumpkin. The peach one is called the Long Island Cheese pumpkin and both are edible although the Long Island pumpkin is supposed to be best for cooking/baking. I was also hoping to find some white pumpkins to put along with the gold ones but they are hard to find!!! The bale of hay I got from Meijer, a local grocery store for $4.99. Lastly the crate I got at a garage sale for $1. I've been using it to store things in my garage but worked out perfect for this look. I'm still on the hunt for a cornstalk which I will put in the corner and I think it OK to keep out until Thanksgiving so I will get good use out of it!

Happy spray painting! Here are some other helpful tips from blogger Becky Higgins if you decide to try it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a creative and awesome idea. Nice work Steph

    ReplyDelete