Thursday, October 6, 2011

recommendation: tomato soup must-try recipe

now that we are in our new house, i'm back to being a domestic goddess-in-training (i'm working on adding ironing to my resume but haven't mastered it yet. when do you stop? i do the back and then the front and then want to do the back all over from creases that appeared from doing the front. i am not a fan of the iron but hope to master it one day). my old dinner rule in chicago was to cook at home 4-5 days per week using easy tried and true standby recipes with 1 new recipe per week.

this week i had leftover mozz, tomatoes and basil from a salad over the weekend so I decided to make our standby caprese sandwiches on ciabatta (mix italian spice mix with olive oil, brush onto two slices of bread, put in oven with mozz slices until it melts, add tomato and basil. done!). my new recipe adventure
was to make HOMEMADE tomato soup since its one of my hubs favorites and the fall weather is just calling for it (despite the unusual 70 degree temps). i had saved an email from Smitten Kitchen for a recipe she had for Tomato Soup + Grilled Cheese all in one dish (think variation of french onion soup). I just made the soup portion (her version, not the original version she borrowed it from) but want to try the whole recipe sometime. it was amazing. her pictures are prettier but here's what i did:

sliced up tomatoes to roast them (that little v in them is because i cut out the stems)
roasted tomatoes & garlic
put in food processor
added chicken stock, thyme, and crushed red pepper (i added a little more than called for and it added a great kick to the soup!) boil then simmer
how easy was that? i added some fresh basil on top
another easy & delicious recipe to add to my new standby pile!

2 comments:

  1. yum this looks great!! looks like you used 12 tomatoes, how many servings did you get out of it? do you think i could use veggie stock instead of chicken and get the same result? also, did you have leftovers and try re-heating? how'd it turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used 12 tomatoes was just over 2.5 lbs. Recipe called for 3 and I wish I followed it bc it was a little broth but I was sick of walking forth btwn the tomatoes and the scale and the grocery store. It made 4 servings. I would like to try to freeze it too. I think veggie stock would totally work (stock not broth). I don't have microwave yet so reheat on stove top, just as good! Try it!!

    ReplyDelete