Monday, December 19, 2011

recommendation: magical stain remover

fels naptha. huh? no, it is not a harry potter spell. and its not the Latin name for an extinct species found in an exotic part of the world. get this.... its soap. yup.

When brother in law's wife Christy told me about it, I made her repeat it 3 times. I didn't understand the words coming from her mouth. But she said that its tried and true for getting any stain out. My mother in law has used it for years so I decided to give it a try.

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to find it at a normal grocery store but they told me to look out for a bar of soap in vintage packaging. It was hiding on the bottom shelf in the cleaning supplies aisle but there it was. and oh goodness, its awesome. and cheap - under $2 for a bar! I've used it twice so far, once for a grease stain on jeans and then on a pen stain on a pair of khaki's. you wet the stain, scrub the soap on, and then stick it in the washer. It worked amazingly.

Just like the website says:

Fels-Naptha® is the golden bar that is excellent for pre-treating greasy, oily stains like perspiration stains and ring-around-the collar. Fels-Naptha® has stood the test of time for over 100 years so you know it really works.

Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. Several of my friends have started making their own laundry detergent and apparently Fels Naptha is an ingredient in making it. You have to make it into shavings which seems a little time consuming but the total of cost of ingredients and amount of detergent you get is way more cost effective than buying Tide from the store. Another amazing use for this little bar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued! Can you find out their recipe for detergent? Tide works best for us but it gets expensive! Let me know if you try it! :)

    ReplyDelete