Tuesday, May 8, 2012

recommendation: easy mango smoothie

I've decided that I'm going to try to make 'real' Indian (read: not frozen boxes) once every few weeks, so I can practice and get good. I'm going to try 1 new recipe each time and while doing this, I'm also working on mastering a few staples. Raita, the yogurt that cools your mouth down when you ordered too spicy, I've got. Matar Pulao (Rice with Peas) I've almost got. Not perfect but always fine. My last cooking session I wanted to tackle the Mango Lassi - a smoothie like drink that is super easy and is another great way to cool your mouth down! A great treat for the summer too.

I learned from my cousin visiting from India this past weekend that a Mango Lassi in India does not exist! Lassi's are made with yogurt. Shakes are made with milk. Because Mango Puree is heavier, she said its used primarily in shakes, and Lassi's are normally plain flavored. Huh! I guess we Americanize a lot of things here to make it fit our tastes better.

Well here is what you need:
1/2 cup Mango Puree
1 cup Non-Fat Plain Yogurt
6 Ice Cubes
Sugar to Taste

Yup, its that simple. The mango puree is so sweet that you don't need the yogurt to be vanilla but if you want to add some sugar, go for it. Non-fat makes it healthier, you don't miss the fat. Blend everything together and enjoy. Serves 1.

Here are a few other notes:

  • Some say LAH-SEE, some say LUSS-Y. I say LAH-SEE. Either way, its NOT LASS-Y.
  • This is a great base to start with and then make your own. Add spices (ginger? cardamom?), change puree flavor, booze it up, fatten it up, or keep it simple!
  • Where do you get Mango Puree? :) Indian grocery stores are the easiest and cheapest, but if you are too scared to go in one, use fresh fruit! Rumor has it Trader Joes carries mango puree (might be frozen) but I have yet to see it. If you are in Chicago - Patel Brothers on Devon is my fav, Ann Arborites go to Foods of India on Broadway or Bombay Grocers on Packard.
  • If you are using fresh fruit - here's how to pick a ripe mango: It will smell great, be soft to touch (but not mushy), no brown marks, and they are sometimes colored - red, yellow are good. Green is not yet ripe but color isn't always an indicator, always test the softness and scent.

No comments:

Post a Comment