Friday, May 11, 2012

recommendation: oatmeal mix-ins

Ok, when I say mix-ins, I'm not talking walnuts and dried fruit. I've been making oatmeal for my hubby for breakfast because its easier to eat than cereal in the car and more filling than a piece of toast. I knew I needed to kick it up a notch - here's what I came up with. I've been using Quaker Oats (regular, not quick cook) but I also have quick cook steel cut oats from Trader Joes. Both the oatmeal and steel cut cook in 5-8 minutes!!.

Note: when i say TSP here, I'm talking about a teaspoon as in the utensil, not the measuring teaspoon. I normally eyeball it anyway, so put in whatever feels right. You can't really mess this up.


Pina Colada Oatmeal

What you need: oatmeal, water, salt, brown sugar, flax seed, coconut extract, frozen pineapple, shredded coconut, bananas. Most of these things are optional!
*these instructions are for oatmeal, not steel cut oats. follow instructions on back of container
*with fixings, this normally makes enough for both my husband and I for breakfast

Boil 1.5 c water with dash of salt, when boiling, add 3/4 cups of oatmeal

After 5-7 minutes when water is mostly absorbed, add 2 tsp of brown sugar (or more or less depending on how sweet you like it). Add 1/2 tsp coconut extract. I also take this as an opportunity to mix in 2 tsp of ground flax seed. I don't eat fish so any chance to get in some omega 3's, and they are disguised by all of the great toppings so you don't even notice. Stir sugar and flax into oatmeal until well blended.

Add 1/3 cup frozen pineapple bits (Trader Joes sells these) - I'm sure you could use fresh or canned too if you have it in the house. Stir in shredded coconut, I normally add about 2-3 spoons.

Last but not least, take 1 banana (this is a GREAT use for brown bananas that are almost ready for trash but you feel horrible wasting them and want to do something with them!). Cut it into chunks and with a fork, mash it into the oatmeal. This really thickens up the oatmeal and makes it heartier. I leave the banana out all the time if I don't have it in the house, so this is totally optional!

Stir all together and enjoy! Can add almond slices or walnuts too. This also heats up really well the next day so if you only want half a portion, don't be afraid to put it in Tupperware and reheat in the microwave the next day.

Another mix-in option I've been making is with strawberries. I buy them frozen and the night before, put a few in a container and sprinkle a little sugar on them. In the morning, they are defrosted and have a great syrup - like the kind you eat with angel food or pound cake for strawberry shortcake. You can do this with fresh strawberries too.

Similar steps - make the oatmeal, when water is absorbed, stir in brown sugar and flax seed, but use vanilla extract instead of coconut. Spoon oatmeal into bowl/travel cup and add strawberry mixture to top. This strawberry mixture works great with yogurt and granola too to make a parfait!

Easy and yummy breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment