Friday, September 28, 2012

recommendation: easy DIY jewelry organizer

I've mentioned before how easily I get distracted, but often great things come of this - remember my spray paint project in the middle of cleaning the garage?

Well this morning one thing led to the next and before I knew it, I had set out to get dressed but ended up organizing all my accessories starting with my under garments, then shoes, belts and hats, and moved on to my jewelry drawer. To be honest, I don't know how long those things will stay in their new spots, but it looks pretty awesome now. While cleaning out my jewelry drawer, I realized I have a LOT of amazing jewelry, including some really neat 'statement' necklaces. I always forget about them stuffed away in my drawer so I got to thinking... I need some way to keep them out without it looking messy. And then from there, this is what my brain thought:

-> Oh! I saw a bulletin board organizer on pinterest once!
-> walk down to basement... do I have an extra bulletin board? YES!
-> Hmm...spray paint or cover in fabric?
-> up stairs to garage, don't like my spray paint color selection for this
-> do I have fabric? back downstairs.
-> This should work. I guess. Do I want to wait? Not really. So we'll make it work.
-> Look up bulletin boards on pinterest.
-> Iron Fabric
-> lay reverse side down on board and trace square to cover with pen
-> cut fabric and hot glue corners down to board
-> pull out old acrylic paint collection - select gold color, paint edges
-> wait 30 minutes
-> back downstairs to find T-PIN push pins
-> AND.....

VOILA! This was no more than a 45 minute project and that was all because of the stair walking and paint drying time. Sometimes my random tangent projects are totally worth it!!! the only two things I would do differently next time are: 1) select non-fraying fabric - like canvas or cotton. Mine was fraying as I was cutting the edges and got a little messy and uneven. 2) do not put hot glue down, then lay out fabric - glue will harden. lay fabric down, then peel up each corner and put glue down. I only glued corners since fabric was thin and I didn't want bumpy glue showing through.

P.S. Yeah... I know I have a lot of perfumes. And yes, I wear (almost) all of them. My favorites right now are Chloe, Ralph Lauren Blue (although this is a bit summery), and a Marc Jacobs rollerball that I don't think Sephora makes anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment