Friday, August 31, 2012

recommendation: sneaky mashed potatoes

I feel like I'm living on the edge... I did something sneaky... are you nervous? Ha! You all know me. I'm miss goody two-shoes. You will laugh when you find out what it actually is. Ready? I snuck....cauliflower into my mashed potatoes. HA! SNEAKY, right?

I found this recipe a while back and it was a hit. I didn't tell my husband what I did and asked him how the dinner was and if he liked the potatoes and barely able to contain myself, when he said yes, I basically yelled HA!I-TRICKED-YOU!THERE-IS-CAULIFLOWER-IN.THE.POTATOES!MUUUHAHHA!

This recipe may not be a substitute for thanksgiving day mashed potatoes, a sacred and traditional dish... but it sure does make you feel less guilty when you want some of that creamy starchy goodness on a weeknight.

Here's the problem. I lost the recipe. I checked my recipe binder, pinterest, both email accounts... nothing. I could look up a new recipe but there were too many variations, so... I made up a new one. This is called, 'winging it.'

Items you need: 4 small or 2 big potatoes, 1 head of cauliflower, butter/margarine, ff half and half, salt & pepper to taste.

Fill big pot with water
Cut a few peeled russet potatoes into thirds
Put potatoes in water
Bring water to a boil

After 10 minutes check potatoes. When potatoes are soft enough you can put a fork through them - but NOT soft enough that they are mashable - add chopped up cauliflower. One full head.

Boil until both are mashable (read: soft, mushy, whatever).

Drain water, mash potatoes and cauliflower. Add cheese (I always have cheddar on hand), a little butter or margarine, and some fat free half and half. I also add in garlic salt and pepper to taste. Obviously there is room for adjustments, personal preferences, do whatever tastes right. Next time I might try putting less potato and more cauliflower... you really can't tell much of a difference. Stir and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment