Wednesday, October 31, 2012

recommendation: fun halloween decor

Happy Halloween!

I had so much fun with my Halloween decorations last year (here and here), I wanted to do something again this year. I decided to try two projects - a glitter pumpkin and some fun letters for my plants.

I earned the nickname Miss Sparkle at my summer job in college at Urban Outfitters, but don't be fooled... I am not a fan of glitter. I do love all thinks sparkly, I just don't want to touch them. Don't you hate when you touch something glittery and hours later, look in the mirror and realize you have little sparkles all over your face?! That said, I am not completely opposed to it. I was in the clearance aisle at Michaels and found a GIANT bottle of orange glitter for .75 cents... I cannot pass up a bargain, so decided to try my hand at a glitter pumpkin.

I think glitter spray paint would have worked much better but I had glitter, so I started by using mod podge on the pumpkin. I'm sure spray glue would have worked just as well. I did it in sections and sprinkled the glitter on. Waited about 20 minutes for it to try and then sprayed the whole thing with a spray paint clear gloss, that sealed the glitter so I would not have to deal with it coming off!

I'm happy with the result, but not thrilled so decided to only glitter one pumpkin. The other, I just tied a bow on, and all seemed well until I found a giant chunk missing from the pumpkin... I blame Mr. Toffee.

P.S. Yes, that hay is from last year, it was $5 and kept fine in the garage for a full year!

My next project was to add something to my boxwood plants to make it a little more festive. I needed 2 short words, so decided on B-O-O and E-E-K. I got wooden letters from Michaels and spray painted them orange. I then glued together two wooden kabob skewers, spray painted them black, and hot glued them to the letters. It was an easy and inexpensive project and I'm super excited about how it turned out!

P.P.S. I do CUTE halloween - not sexy or scary! SO BOO! HAPPY 31ST!

No comments:

Post a Comment