Thursday, April 19, 2012

recommendation: spring clean your closet

My husband left this on my pillow one night. I didn't even get offended because I know, I've got a LOT of stuff. Everywhere. I am a complete pack rat and have borderline hoarding tendencies - every glass jar, and most recyclable items have unknown and future potential uses. Don't worry, when put under pressure, I am willing to part with these items so don't feel the need to submit me as a subject for any TLC shows. I've also admitted to myself that even though we are in a house now, we really don't have that much extra storage space. Or at least not enough for me to keep everything.

My main 'stuff' problem is clothing. I keep everything - because I once loved it, I have a great memory when wearing it, it will fit me one day, it was expensive and I didn't wear it often enough... the list goes on. A high school friend is a stylist now and when I saw her recently she gave me a great piece of advice - buy what fits you NOW. I always think, I don't want to waste money on clothing for a size that I am now when I'm actively trying to work out and loose weight. So I'll wait. But wearing clothes that don't fit right in the mean time doesn't feel nice. So I picked up a few inexpensive things (think Old Navy & TJMaxx/Marshalls) that fit great and make me feel great. And that in turn motivated me to do some MAJOR spring cleaning! I cleaned my closet, my drawers, and some storage bins.

Here's some recommendations on what to DO with all that stuff!

In Ann Arbor there are PLENTY of places to donate:
- Salvation Army - the one on State next to Produce Station has an EASY drop off!
- Re-USE center on South Industrial
- Ann Arbor PTO Thrift Shop on South Industrial
- A few more from Arbor Web
- Trash to Treasures - a full list of Washtenaw County places to take pretty much everything under your roof

Try to get money at:
- Plato's Closet by Briarwood - they are seriously picky here and you have to stay while they sort, so go here first and then donate what they don't take
- Children's Orchard - across the street from Plato's Closet

Donate in Chicago:
- Salvation Army in the West Loop - this was closest to our house in Chicago. Not the friendliest or easiest but its there, they take the donations and give you a form.

Try to get money at:
- Crossroads and Buffalo Exchange are both located on Milwaukee in Buck Town. Drag someone with you because parking there sucks. But these places are close by so you can hit up both.
- Platos Closet on Clybourn
- Luxury Garage Sale - they sell your clothes on ebay and take a small cut. worth it if you have designer duds that are valuable

No comments:

Post a Comment