Monday, April 16, 2012

UN-recommendation: DIY stenciling & holiday rice krispies

This UN-recommendation thing was kind of fun - I got to vent about my failed projects! So you get two here. Third and final failed project was a tie between stenciling and rice krispie eggs. These are my last un-recommendations (for now). Don't try these projects, they are disappointing!

3a. DIY Stenciled Bench

inspiration:
My grandma, who cannot pass a good deal, insisted that I buy a stepping bench when we were at Value World. 1. because one day I would need it and 2. it was only $2. Two bucks does no harm to my wallet so why not. Two days later at HomeGoods, I saw some similar benches with adorable hand painted designs. Ah ha, inspiration! I decided to turn this bench into a grown up decoration. And so the failed project started...

steps:
I used leftover primer and wall paint to cover the bench after I sanded it and wiped it down. We bought a stencil from Michaels and I started using leftover blue wall paint to stencil it on.

Mistake #1. Paint brushes do not work for stenciling. #2. neither does wall paint really, its too goopy. I proceeded to hide my mistakes by painting the steps blue. Purchased ivory acrylic paint and sponge applicators. Sponged on paint. #3 give the paint a few minutes to dry before lifting up the stencil or it will smudge #4 don't use too much paint or it will smudge #5 don't paint while drinking wine, it will cause smudges. I had to use q-tips to touch it up.

final product:
smudged mess. you may think I just like saying the word smudge. but it was just too much work. i thought this would be an easy peasy project and i would finish it in a day and i'm just 'eh' about the end result.

3b. Easter Rice Krispie Eggs

inspiration:

Found this on pinterest from Food Family Finds.

steps:
Looked easy enough. I thought she hand molded them so saved a plastic egg carton to help - that didn't really work but I see now in the tutorial that she used a plastic egg, which I didn't have. When I hand rolled them into eggs, it compacted them together too much so the treats were hard to bite into. Also I melted bakers white chocolate and it was just a drippy mess to get it on the eggs. i had easter sprinkles which made the messy eggs a little cuter.

final product:

looked cute but not worth the effort in my opinion. next time i'll just make the treats, maybe cut them into an oval with a cookie cutter and decorate them that way?

No comments:

Post a Comment