Wednesday, April 25, 2012

recommendation: crockpot cooking tips

Last week I stuck a pork tenderloin in the freezer because I ended up needing one less meal. I pulled it out yesterday to defrost. This morning... still partially frozen. This is a big debate - can you use frozen meat in the crockpot? Well - I've done it before. Many of the recipes I find on pinterest and mommy blogs call for frozen or defrosted chicken with varying cook times. Here's the debate:

YES to frozen: its quicker than defrosting or browning the meat; economical (because you can buy meat in bulk and keep some of it frozen); it doesn't effect the taste; it cooks for long enough to kill any bacteria. A lot of people say if you use frozen meat to add an hour to the cooking time. Crockpot says its OK as long as you follow their rules.

NO to frozen: you all know I'm a rule follower so I went to the top source for this one - USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service says, "Always thaw meat or poultry before putting it into a slow cooker." Most articles say that the crockpot cooking meat at a low temperature provides the perfect conditions for bacteria growth so they frown upon it.

Then there's an in between group, those who acknowledge the bacteria issues of using frozen meat but want to use it so to combat any fears, put the meat on HIGH setting for an hour to kill any bacteria as the meat is defrosting, then turn it to low for the rest of the time. If you do this, you could probably decrease the cook time by an hour.

I'll tell you what I did. I researched this all morning. I went downstairs not knowing which side I was on yet and prepped the whole meal. I pulled the pork out and it was sooo close to being defrosted so I was going to run it under cold water. And then I noticed it was a funny color so I threw it away. REALLY. Really? It could be because I let it sit on the counter for a half hour yesterday (another no-no in some minds, but everyone does it and survives). It could be because I had it for 1.5 days before putting in freezer. I ran to the store and got a new one, so $12 down the drain but only a 10 min delay. And then as I was unwrapping it, I realized it was the same color. Yeah. It was 8am and there was a funny light in my kitchen. UGH. Stupid Stephanie. I will let you know how this meal turns out - its an Apricot Pork with Carrots and is a recommendation from my cousin and I'm super excited to finally be trying it! Here are a few spring recipes I found online that I'm curious to try!

- Sweet & Spicy Kielbasa
- Balsamic Chicken with Spring Vegetables
- Corned Beef and Cabbage with Herb Butter Potatoes
- Slow Berry Cobbler
- Parm Risotto - I already posted this but think it would be great with some honey baked ham and sauteed fresh asparagus. SO spring.

Like this post isn't long enough (can you tell how many cups of coffee I've had!?), here are some additional tips from Cooking Light:

  • If your slow cooker has a removable insert, you're doubly blessed. For some recipes, you can assemble the ingredients in the insert the night before, refrigerate the whole thing, and go to bed. Next morning, set the insert in the slow cooker, turn on the heat, and head to work knowing that a delicious meal will greet you at day's end.
  • The slow cooker is one of the most forgiving of cooking options. No basting, eye-balling, or baby-sitting. Although cooking time is more flexible than with traditional methods, overcooking and even burning are possible in a slow cooker, so test for doneness close to the time given in the recipe.
  • To ensure that our recipes provide the most accurate cook times, we tested with old and new models and different sizes of cookers. We discovered that newer models cook hotter; so double-check the cook times depending on the age of your cooker.
  • Size also matters. If the recipe calls for a 3-quart cooker and you own a 6-quart, reduce the cook time by a third and check for doneness as specified in the recipe. (Otherwise, the dish may burn).
  • Some meat recipes call for the dish to be cooked on high heat for one hour and then reduced to low heat. This allows the slow cooker to heat up faster and the heat to penetrate the cut of meat and eradicate any bacteria.
  • For the same reason, cut any piece of meat larger than a couple of pounds in half so the center will reach recommended temperatures in less time. Once you sample these recipes, we're sure you'll give your slow cooker a permanent spot on your counter top.

SO what is your stance on this? YES or NO to using Frozen Meat?

2 comments:

  1. The important thing with meat is not leaving it in the "danger zone" for to long.

    Danger zone is anything between 40 f, and 140f some say 41-141 but who's counting, it is important (if you are worried about bacteria) to bring the internal temp to 165f.

    http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/safetysanitation/a/dangerzone.htm

    However I enjoy meat cooked much less, (as you know) 135-145.

    For putting frozen meat in a slow cooker, I say no.

    First thaw it in the fridge or in a cold water water bath.

    Bacteria doubles every 20 minutes and bacteria needs three things to grow, time, temperature and moisture. So the meat in a slow cooker would remain in the danger zone for a longer time.

    HOWEVER if you bring the internal temp to 165. you are most likely OK.

    food fun!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this information is so helpful, thank you!

    ReplyDelete