Monday, February 13, 2012

recommendation: risotto love

OK risotto seems completely intimidating. And rightfully so, its a time consuming dish. But most basic risotto recipes while timely, are not difficult! So if you have the time you should go for it since its completely worth trying. And with Valentines day coming up tomorrow, its the perfect dish to impress someone with - to tell them, I made a special (satisfying, comforting, creamy, carb-y) meal for you. Putting love & time into this dish shows them they are worth putting a little extra time in for!

From Wikipedia, here is the general preparation of risotto. Its important to understand this basic procedure because unlike other rice and pastas - it seems odd that you can't just dump the rice in a pot of boiling broth and let it do its thing, instead you have to slowly add liquid until the Arborio rice absorbs it, which is the whole reason it takes a while to prepare!

The rice is first cooked briefly in a soffritto of onion or garlic and butter or olive oil to coat each grain in a film of fat, this is called tostatura; white or red wine is added and has to be absorbed by the grains. When it has evaporated, the heat is raised to medium high and very hot stock is gradually added in small amounts while stirring gently, almost constantly: stirring loosens the starch molecules from the outside of the rice grains into the surrounding liquid, creating a smooth creamy-textured liquid. At that point it is taken off the heat for the mantecatura when diced cold butter and finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese are vigorously stirred in to make the texture as creamy and smooth as possible. It may be removed from the heat a few minutes earlier, and left to cook with its residual heat.

Here are two of our favorite recipes. The first time we made them, wait, let me rephrase. The first time my husband made them (he had the day off and I asked him to make this second recipe, how mean and cruel but how amazing the result!), we didn't realize how much time they would each take, so plan ahead! Don't start when hungry!

Note:
- Many risotto recipes will call for Parmigiano-Reggiano. This is NOT the same thing as your normal shredded or grated Parmesan. The flavor is stronger, different. I'm sure you can substitute Parm because Parmigiano-Reggiano is actually quite expensive, but if you can find a small block, the flavor is worth it!

- Shiitake Sweet Pea Risotto Recipe (pic on left). I love to use Trader Joes Frozen petite peas. I know its weird to have a favorite frozen veggie brand but ever since my dad introduced me to them, we've been hooked. They are bright green and perfect looking!

- Barley Butternut Squash Shiitake Risotto Recipe (pic on right). Barley is substituted for Arborio rice in this recipe because it doesn't contain as much starch as the rice so this "risotto" isn't really risotto since its not quite as creamy as traditional recipes... but is healthier!

- Crockpot Risotto. This risotto will offend true risotto lovers, advanced at-home chefs, and any Italians, so I apologize in advance. But I'm including it because one day I was craving risotto so bad, absolutely had to have it but was not willing to put in the time or effort. The consistency is a bit mushier and it was not as great reheated in the microwave - and it makes a huge batch, so you'll have leftovers. BUT - it was pretty delicious the night of and the first round of re-heats and the basil oil was not THAT difficult to make! I used a combination of two recipes - here and here to make it. Worth making if you really want easy risotto.

- Last but not least, I thought I would include my favorite restaurant for risotto in case you are local to Chicago. Coco Pazzo Cafe (don't be confused with Coco Pazzo on Hubbard, same company but this one is the cafe) is over on St. Clair off Michigan Ave, and they have risotto of the day. This was my choice for my birthday lunch one year and it is filling but delicious. I also got a plate of risotto go to from here as my last Chicago lunch-while-working. Its expensive (I think a bowl was $15) but it lasted two meals!

Happy Valentines Day! Hope you can win someone's heart with this amazing dish - it would certainly make my knees weak :)

No comments:

Post a Comment