Sunday, June 26, 2011

recommendation: growing a garden on a high-rise balcony

last year I mostly did basics for my ‘garden’ aka one metal tin with holes poked in it and one plant potter. I did basil, jalapeƱos, and a tomato plant. It went well, considering it was my first attempt at growing anything. The basil was insane and I could not keep up with it, I only used like a forth of the ONE jalapeno that produced (which took all summer to grow). Tomatoes were good but they often split before I got to them as I didn’t tend to my garden as lovingly as I should have.

Well – new year, fresh start, this summer is a different story! My mom & dad gave me a mint plant which took off, so that inspired me to have a whole slew of herbs out on my balcony. I found these fantastic potters at Marshalls, they came in two sizes, and look great and simple on the balcony. I did a lot of research of what to plant that will grow well on a balcony in a pot and here’s what I did:

- Cilantro
- Thyme
- Oregano
- Basil
- Mint
- Eggplant
- Yellow Pepper
- Roma Tomato
- Patio Tomato
- Banana Pepper
- Habanero Pepper (for my cousin who’s taste buds can tolerate any and all heat)
- Radishes

The radishes were a last minute addition since I realized I had an extra spot in my planter and they have been growing well. I can’t wait! Other items that are
supposed to grow well on a balcony are: carrots, lettuce (bibb, spinach, arugula), bush beans, parsley, chives, and green onions. There are 'bush' varieties of several plants which work well in pots.

All articles I found said to make sure there is drainage in your pots, this is a MUST. Also to make sure the pots are big enough so that roots can grow and spread, otherwise it will outgrow its space quickly and die off. Some items work well together too, ask the store you are buying your herbs/veggies at. Lastly, make sure to get proper soil - I bought the Miracle-Gro Potting Soil and my plants seem happy. I accidentally bought garden soil and it says all over the bag - do not use in containers/pots, so I returned it - why risk it? Be patient with your plants - herbs will grow quick (and will need to be trimmed b/c of this) but vegetables will take a while so don't expect instant results! Sit back and make a cocktail with those fresh herbs(raspberry mojito with the mint, strawberry basil vodka, thyme and lime, etc) and enjoy what you have while you have it.

I made my first dish using my own grown herbs – sicilian pesto for a chicken dish yesterday. Would use one clove less garlic but was delish – enjoy!

Here are some other resources I used for my garden:
- Home Depot - bought most herbs here
- Gethsemane Gardens - bought my strawberry plant and my cousins habanero plant here
- Gardening Tips from GOOP (Gwyneth Paltrow)
- Vegetable Plants Suitable for Containers
- 12 vegetables you can grow in a pot

No comments:

Post a Comment