Sunday, June 19, 2011

recommendation: listen to your father…he really does know best

Life’s lessons – they are there for a reason. Listen to them. When I look back on the latter part of my teen years, I think I was kind of rebellious (those who know me know that in truth this actually means slamming doors, yelling that life wasn’t fair and the silent treatment, none of which really qualify as true teen rebellion). I can’t imagine the horrible times I put my parents through as they tried to teach me right and guide me through all of the experiences of growing up. My dad had strict rules and I never thought they were fair. He held high expectations and only for the best reasons, so I could succeed and become all that I was possible of. Looking back, I wish I had followed more of his advice, or at least listened sooner…. luckily a lot of it stuck with me. Here are some recommendations passed down, to both me and my lucky husband who has a father who has dealt with his fair share of teenage rebellion.

The basics of being a kid:
Sudhir: Hold your pencil right
Paul: The mitt can be used to catch the ball AND protect your face.

How to get around in the kitchen
Sudhir: Put in double the amount of water as rice, boil, and simmer for 25 minutes
Paul: Anything you have in the house, no matter how random its seems can be made into a meal with the right spices and a little creativity

The Secret to Success:
Sudhir: The key to being successful in life is knowing proper English and grammar
Paul: Having a happy and healthy family can make you the richest man in the world

Real Life Lesson:
Sudhir: It never hurts to ask
Paul: Always be compassionate

Advice from both fathers:
Sudhir: Do what makes you happy
Paul: Do what makes you happy

We all went to a wedding yesterday and the priest spoke of two families joining together to support and be present to witness the love of the bride and groom, how the bride and groom knew love (the happy hand holding love, and the how to be there for each other during a challenging time kind of love) because of what they learned from their parents and loved ones. My husband and I are fortunate to say that we have always felt loved. That is not something we ever had to question. Whether it was a hug, an approving pat on the back, a look or the actual words, we have always known deep down that our dad’s love us and will always love us. And in our lives together, we continue to learn about love from our father in-laws as well. They teach us about their life experiences so that we can learn and grow to be all that we can be.

So ears perked, pencil ready, listen to your father. He’s got good advice to give you and it’s all because he loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment