Friday, June 24, 2011

recommendation: make Indian inspired food

As a follow up to my post the other day on fake-making Indian food, I did find two awesome recipes (which lead to me discovering this awesome website!) for Indian-inspired oatmeal and Indian Mango-Pineapple chutney. Lets do breakfast first.

This Indian oatmeal uses steel oats which I got from trader joes. I’ve never made them before, they are quick cook ones, but were easy enough! I mixed in all listed ingridents and at the end when they were ready, I stirred in 3 heaping tablespoons of ground flax seeds to get a little extra nutrition in there.
Since I don’t eat fish (it’s a texture thing, and yes, I have tried, and will keep trying. I want to like it!) – I need to get my omega-3’s somehow and my friend Evie started taking pills which inspired me to do something myself. Baby steps. Anyway, I portioned it out and put them in the fridge. I also separated out slivered almonds and raisins into snack size baggies, and the coconut milk into containers. In the morning I grabbed my portions for my lunchbox, and quickly heated my hubbys up for the car ride in. Easy enough, and super tasty. I would say this is more of a ‘spiced’ oatmeal vs ‘indian’ – I suppose it’s the ginger. I left the cardamom out b/c I was scared, I’m sure that would Indianize it… Definitely a way to switch up your morning meal and add some fun flavors.

Next up, we’ve got mango-pineapple chutney. Finding this recipe was great timing since my dad bought me a case of mangos! I always keep canned pineapple in the house so this was easy. I served it on the side with tandoori chicken but as other comments mention on Budget Bytes Blog, I think it would taste fantastic with a white creamy cheese. Then yesterday we ate it with pork tenderloin – it added a great flavor and sauciness to the pork. I’m sure this chutney recipe can be adjusted with different fruits and can be used in a million ways.

Recipes for both can be found on links on item names in above paragraphs. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment