Tuesday, November 22, 2011

recommendation: actually DO the things you PIN, part 2 of 3

2. Antique Inspired Mason Jars - inspiration:

reason:
I had been looking for the blue tinted mason jars, which are antiques, so harder to find and more expensive per jar. Instead of buying the antique version, why not just make our own?

steps:
bought mason jars, followed directions as listed on Momtastics blog. I tried the project twice. Because the first time it didn't seem tinted enough so the second time I put more food coloring in. The second time I did it with my mother-in-law and brother-in-law's wife, so we all picked different colors.

final product:
sadly did not work either time. first time the jar looked the same color when it dried, even though I tinted it teal. the second time, i put more modge podge and food coloring, and it left a big ring at the bottom and was all splotchy. directions said to cook for 30 minutes or longer if there are streaks, i cooked it for like 2 hours and still, no change. deleted this pin from my 'to make' board. so yeah... this is actually an UN-recommendation

side note:
i did also try this with an empty martinelli's apple juice jar b/c the leave detail at the top is so pretty. since the project didn't turn out and I didn't want to waste the jar, I spray painted it gold (of course) and will put some branches of red bittersweet berries coming out of it for display at Christmas time. will probably spray paint the other mason jars for something so that i don't waste them!

No comments:

Post a Comment