Wednesday, November 16, 2011

recommendation: chocolate chip pumpkin cake

November 2004 - I had just met my now-hubby a few months earlier and his younger sister's birthday was approaching. I wanted to do something special for my amazing now-sis-in-law, so i went on the hunt for a lactose sensitive birthday cake recipe. I was trying to find something that was still yummy but that wouldn't upset her tummy. and I stumbled across this goldmine of a recipe. i have dairy issues too, i'm not a complete 'lactard' as my friend evie calls it, but this recipe works well for those who are at either end of the spectrum for IBS or lactose issues. since its so delicious, you don't miss the dairy and it pleases everyone!

i have found a reason to make this cake every year since - her birthday, thanksgiving, or just because its fall. the recipe is that good. i've made it in a bundt cake pan, a rectangular cake pan, and a loaf pan. Any and all works but bundt is best as its what the original recipe intended for.

(Hannah's) Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake
1 small can pumpkin
3 cups white flour
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs (or egg white equivalent - I use eggbeaters)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup canola or veggie oil (I use 3/4 cup)
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional, I've never put in before)
12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients except chips and nuts in a large bowl. Then add chips and nuts. Spray/grease pan. Spoon into a large bundt pan (or rectangular cake pan). Bake from 30-60 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool, invert onto serving plate (if using bundt pan. if regular pan, no need to invert). Sprinkle with powder sugar if desired.

*I know the cooking range is huge but totally depends on oven and pan. It really has taken me different bake times before!

Easy enough, right? Happy Pumpkin season!

1 comment:

  1. Awww :) This is the best cake ever! love you!!

    ReplyDelete