Tuesday, March 6, 2012

recommendation: make your own kitchen art

here's another 'actually do the things you pin' post, enjoy!

inspiration: i found this idea on pinterest, from the blog Spunky Junky.

steps: i love their version better because 1. the detailed frame is awesome 2. i love the groupings of forks, spoons, and knives. But I had really limited wall space for this piece, and on the other side of the doorway is my wall of kitchen art, so I didn't want to get too busy. I chose to do one spoon, fork, and knife.

I also wanted to keep this project on a budget, in case it didn't work. I didn't want to purchase nice silverware and frames - pinterest projects tend to be hit or miss. I found the frame and silverware (sold in packs of 2) at the dollar store, so I spent $4 there. Instead of buying fabric for the background, I just trimmed a piece of scrapbook paper. I did buy the grey matte spray paint, I believe it was $3, used to spray the frame and silverware.

I liked how the frame and silverware matched in the inspiration picture - it unites the project (otherwise wouldn't it just look like you framed silverware, instead of artwork?). But my walls are white so that wouldn't work, and metallic silver to match the other frames in my wall art project seemed kind of tacky - I don't want the silverware looking plastic/fake. The matte grey worked well! I love the pop the blue paper gives it (actually, a blue frame & silverware might have been cute with grey paper!).

After everything was dry, I just hot glued it to the paper (so you are not using the glass of the frame here) and put it up on the wall. Make sure before you glue the silverware that you lay them down to see where they touch the paper before you put glue on them - because of the dips and curves, not all parts touch the paper and you don't want glue dripping from them.

final product: I'm super pleased with how it turned out. I needed just a little something to hang up there and it feels nice to know it was self made and inexpensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment