Tuesday, August 14, 2012

recommendation: make your own taco seasoning

Well geez, if I had known it was this easy, I probably would have been doing this a long time ago. I recently saw a recipe for making your own taco seasoning and my first thoughts were 1. its like a dollar or less for a packet of seasoning. and 2. I buy the low-sodium one, so we're good, right?

And then for dinner tonight, I forgot the store-bought seasoning. So I was forced to make my own. And like I said... if I had know it was this easy...Here you go (original recipe found here):

- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (I only had ground so used 1/8 tsp)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper

They are all things most people have in their cupboard anyway! Mix it all together. That's it. Easy peasy, huh? I poached then shredded one chicken breast (.80 lbs) and then heated it with some oil, onions and about 1 TBSP of this mix and then added a little water while it simmered and we made tacos.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment