Wednesday, August 22, 2012

recommendation: tips for hardboiling an egg

I thought of Julia Child recently. Admittedly, I only know her though Julie & Julia (the movie)... I have none of her cookbooks and I cannot recall any of her TV episodes. But how must she have felt as she pioneered through and mastered basic and expert culinary skills and recipes?

Well that's a lot of thought for such a simple task. All I was doing was boiling my first egg. It was pretty exciting. Until it came to peeling it. I was scared of that, I have no idea why. The smell also got to me. It was for my husband (to put in salads for lunch at work) so he peeled it. I was also terrified that he would peel it open and the yolk would be runny. But overall, mission successful. It got me thinking, what else do I need to know about boiling an egg?

I found this great chart from What's Cooking America:

Egg Size / Degree of Doneness / Time Required:
- Medium / Soft-Cooked yolk / 3 minutes
- Medium / Medium-Cooked yolk / 5 minutes
- Medium / Hard-Cooked yolk / 12 minutes

- Large / Soft-Cooked yolk / 4 to 5 minutes
- Large / Medium-Cooked yolk / 6 minutes
- Large / Hard-Cooked yolk / 17 minutes

- Extra Large / Soft-Cooked yolk / 5 minutes
- Extra Large / Medium-Cooked yolk / 7 to 8 minutes
- Extra Large / Hard-Cooked yolk / 19 minutes

My mom also gave me a great tip - to use slightly older eggs. As this site says, "Extremely fresh eggs are not recommended when making hard-boiled eggs. They are very difficult to peel."

Here are some more tips:
- Bring eggs to room temperature before cooking
- Refrigeration is necessary for hard boiled eggs if they eggs are not to be consumed within a few hours
- Hard-cooked eggs in the shell can be refrigerated up to one week
- 1 large boiled egg has 75 calories and 6.29 g of protein (it says here that the average American needs between 50 to 65 g of protein per day)

I can't believe these things got a whole blog post, I don't know if I'll ever eat one and I hate the smell... but I figured if I learned something while trying this new cooking task, maybe you can too!

No comments:

Post a Comment