Tuesday, August 28, 2012

recommendation: no-fry fries

I am not great at making french fries from scratch. They always turn out mushy and I never knew why. I did discover that they need a higher heat at 425 or 450, when I used to cook them at 350 degrees. Well, I stopped making them and started buying them in the frozen section, that Alexia brand makes good fries, but they are always expensive!

Last week I found an article that included Gwyneth Paltrow's version. I love most things Gwyneth - her friendship with Beyonce and Jay-Z, her version of Betty Davis Eyes from Duets, her website GOOP, and the girl can cook. So I decided to try it the next day. I had no idea a simple bowl of cold water could change my fry world. Various sources say that soaking the potatoes in cold water before cooking will remove excess starch.

The recipe as listed on self.com does not list how long to soak the potatoes but I think I left them in more than 5 but less than 10, so lets go with 8 minutes.

Recipe courtesy of My Father's Daughter: Delicious, Easy Recipes Celebrating Family & Togetherness by Gwyneth Paltrow

INGREDIENTS
- 2 large russet potatoes (2/3 lb each), peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt

PREPARATION
Heat oven to 450°. Cut potatoes in half horizontally; cut each half into 1/3-inch-thick fries and place in a bowl of cold water. Remove from water and dry thoroughly. Toss with oil and sprinkle with salt. Place fries on a cookie sheet. Roast until browned and cooked through, turning occasionally, 25 minutes.

Nutrition: 175 calories per serving, 7 g fat (1 g saturated), 27 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein

p.s. that's a veggie burger you see in the background. we've been enjoying this new brand, Lightlife. I don't know if they are better than MorningStar but its nice to have a change and they are less expensive. I buy the Farmer's Market Veggie Burgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment