Tuesday, July 26, 2011

recommendation: applesauce on the go

I am applesauce obsessed right now. It all started last Thanksgiving when my cousins adorable twin kids needed a snack and were given GoGo Squeez applesauce packets. They let us try one and it was surprisingly delicious! I didn't think much more about them until recently when I was nursing a hangover and my sister fed me one to get some food in me - it was an unexpected fix, a refreshing and natural treat. Since then, I've been a bit obsessed. Gogo Squeez packets are awesome but when I needed a quick fix, I popped into Trader Joes and tried their version, Fruit Crushers, which I actually preferred because it wasn't as sweet. If you prefer sweet vs natural applesauce, then you'd probably prefer GoGo Squeez - even though both are completely natural 100% fruit with no added anythings.

These squeezable applesauces are absolutely perfect when you feel like you are about to faint from hunger but are absolutely too busy to stop and eat at that moment. You need something small and with a little sugar to keep you going until you can actually break and eat a real meal. These packets aren't filling (I can practically eat it in two slurps) but they give you that little push you need. Today, I made a new discovery. I had that feeling at the grocery store, starving but didn't want to open the cheez-its and ruin my dinner, so I grabbed an apple sauce packet in the refridgerator fruit section. Buddy Fruits Apple & Banana flavor. I don't know if it was the flavor or the moment of hunger, but this has been my best squeezable applesauce experience to date!

If you aren't convinced to try these kids treats yet, let me give you some grown up benefits:
- source of antioxidents such as catechin, phloridzin, chlorogenic acid (all of which fight free radicals in the body to protect DNA and cells from oxidative damage that can lead to cancer)
- apples are high in fiber
- per Mott, the applesauce experts: Eating apple sauce as part of a diet low in saturated fat promotes heart health; Antioxidant vitamin C to help support a healthy immune system; Naturally fat- and cholesterol-free; Naturally sodium free
- article on the Health Benefits of Applesauce

No comments:

Post a Comment