Sunday, July 10, 2011

recommendation: easy berry cobbler

I recently posted on taking a shortcut with a cookie recipe and how it was only semi-successful. Well, I took another shortcut on another baking recipe, and again, it was only semi-successful. I had happy bellies around the room but felt as though the recipe could be changed... and that's why I'm posting/recommending it, because I feel like with a few easy adjustments, it can be a successful shortcut recipe!

My hubby has been asking me to make cobbler with all of the great summertime fruit available but every time I look up a recipe, it either involves a lengthy ingredient list or something in the list that I don't keep in the house, so it stops me from making it. My in-laws, sister-in-law and her son came to visit this weekend and I really wanted to make them a special dessert. I was going to make
Krusteaz Cinnamon Coffee Cake one morning and got a boxed mix but decided it was a little too much work in the a.m. and wanted to do something easier...and then I noticed on the side of the box... a berry cobbler recipe! Using the boxed mix, all I had to provide was 4 cups frozen mixed berries, which I have been keeping stocked in the house (LOVE Trader Joes Fancy Berry Mix with blueberries, blackberries and raspberries), water, butter, and old fashioned oats. Done and done!

Revisions are, the recipe needed a little longer to bake, I'm thinking its because I didn't have the deep dish pie pan it called for. I'd also add more berries next time as the berry to streusel topping ratio was not even. Lastly, I'd maybe put less of the cinnamon mixture into it, was a little too cinnamon-y for me (maybe just me, as we've established that I'm not the biggest cinnamon fan...).

Overall though, this was such an easy recipe and satisfied the cobbler craving. The house smelled great and even with the extra time, it only took about 45 minutes to bake. Worth another try!

No comments:

Post a Comment