Sunday, July 3, 2011

recommendation: martha stewart inspired 4th of July cookies

Martha is my mom's idol so in turn, she is mine too. She is the Queen of baking, sewing, craft projects, and everything domestic. I agree with all of the whoopla, of course with money and a whole team she can get anything accomplished and she makes her projects seem easy, not necessarily made for the everyday gal... so when I saw her July magazine issue with 4th of July Fireworks Cookies on the front, I KNEW I had to attempt to make them, but needed to revised the recipe a tiny bit! With a busy week's schedule, I didn't want to be unrealistic about this project, so I decided to get a bag of pre-made cookie mix. It just required you to add butter and 1 egg. I made them in different sizes just for fun and while they cooled, I made my the buttercream frosting my mom brought us up on - confectioners sugar, butter, milk and vanilla. Easy enough! (p.s. this is a great recipe for Christmas cookies too). I also got pre-made gel packets that came in a set of 4 colors. As I started decorating the cookies, I realized instantly that they wouldn't turn out the same as Martha's because my white frosting needed to be harder and more solid.
Martha used Royal Icing - big difference, my buttercream wasn't a great substitution, as I tried swirling the colored gel designs, it was just blending with my creamy buttermilk frosting - but honestly, it was quicker, I ended up just doing some fun and crazy decorations. Overall, they were deliciously sweet cookies, so worth it! I would still recommend taking the shortcut to get the project done, Martha's cookies are beautiful but mine were still fun for the holiday celebration.

Happy Independence Day!

1 comment:

  1. yum! they look sooo good sessy!! and such pretty pretty decorations! you should make these for every occasion (and save some for mes) :)

    ReplyDelete