Thursday, July 14, 2011

recommendation: join a book club


I’m all for the arts, anything that is culture, that creates and cultivates… so when I got invited to a book club through work, I was excited. When I heard it would be discussed over wine…. I was double in. All of my ‘clubs’ involve wine… knitting club, crafting club, book club… it makes them cooler (maybe? kinda?).

We met at the Conrad, which has a delicious nut mix at their bar btw, and discussed our first book, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot. Parts were hard to get through, other parts had me gripped and turning pages quickly… its on the New York Times Best Sellers list under paperback non-fiction, #3! Overall I’m happy I read it, its one of those books that you read and it betters you, its good to be aware of
all that's going on out there. As a Sociology major,anything that involves the study of people, cultures, times, social reproduction, etc., gives me a little thrill. Oprah is making a movie of this book too, so you know its good!

I recommend two things here. 1) Enjoying a nice glass of wine while exploring a hobby (might I recommend charles smith wines?) 2) actually joining a club to celebrate that hobby, in this case, a book club!

p.s. If you decide to read the book or start a book club, here are some resources:
- Discussion Questions for The Immortal Life...BookLust
- Oprah's Book Club
- NPR Book Club
- Local Chicago Resource - Gapers Block
- Amazon Book Club Picks

No comments:

Post a Comment